Sunday, May 4, 2008

Technostalgic Dysphoria

If you had any affection for the Atari Corporation in the 1980’s, you might find this link of interest:

Mighty God King: Fun From Yesterday!

This totally takes me back. I spent countless hours playing “It’s Fucking Checkers.” What a great game.

Just admit it. The Atari box art was really amazing. The ‘80’s future was so bright and colorful and wonderfully technologic. When I was 8 years old, I kind of assumed that by the year 2000, I would be the supreme commander of some sort of mobile missile defense unit. Obviously, this did not come to fruition. What went wrong? As a result, I now suffer from a fictional psychiatric disorder called “technostalgic dysphoria,” a severe dissatisfaction with the present based on an unreasonable expectation of the future devised in a bygone era. If you like the film Barbarella, and you should, you most likely know what I mean. Thanks for nothing childhood dream-makers.

No comments: